Our family and have friends have no idea what MetroDemic is. And believe me… we’ve tried to explain it!
So when the Pokémon Go game out we started getting a ton of people we know asking us, “Is MetroDemic like Pokémon Go?” Even my 80 year old father-in-law who is completely technology averse brought this up.
How Pokémon Go is Similar to MetroDemic
At first glance, Pokémon Go seems like a game that works like MetroDemic.
- You explore the city on foot looking for interesting sites.
- You play it on a smartphone.
- You walk around and get some exercise.
How MetroDemic is Different from Pokémon Go
After playing for an hour so, you can definitely start to see some major differences between the games.
- MetroDemic is a great event for team events, but Pokémon Go is more of a game for individuals that can be played socially. If you’re a group of 50 people, there isn’t much of a common cause to keep the whole group motivated and interested.
- The technology is quite different. Pokémon Go utilizes augmented reality, which is a fancy way of saying they make cartoons appear on the camera viewer on your phone. The augmented reality is pretty cool and we are very excited to work some of that into our MetroDemic gaming experience as the technology gets better.
- Battery life is a big issue. The initial release of MetroDemic included GPS locators, but we quickly realized that it drains batteries quickly and that it’s not very accurate on foot in downtown areas. The efficiency of MetroDemic makes it easy to play the 90-minute game without draining a battery dry.
- Pokémon Go has the advantage of being a game that you can play on an ongoing basis. MetroDemic is definitely designed to be played just once or twice in a each city. For people with short attention spans (like myself!), I enjoy knowing that the game has a set start and finish as opposed to be something that’s going to require a major life commitment.
Overall, we’re very excited about the idea of more people using their smartphones as an excuse to get outside and spend time with friends. Maybe they’ll put us out of business someday. Maybe they’ll buy our company at a ridiculous price because they’re envious of how stable our gaming platform is. Either way, it was a great play by Niantic and we have huge respect for their efforts.